Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Our Grammie


The past two months have been a whirlwind of travel for the Hoffman family. In May we spent 10 days in Hawaii, and June we went up to PA, went to the beach, and then went back up to PA. Unfortunately, the last visit was not just for fun, as we had to go up and say goodbye to our beloved Grammie (Jason’s grandmother). Today’s post is going to be a tribute to her and the legacy she left with our family.

I have to be honest and say that the first year of our marriage I saw Grammie as just another loving grandmother. Sure, she was fun to be around, but it wasn’t until I began to join my mother-in-law up on Grammie’s farm on a Friday, that I really began to appreciate the woman that she was.

Grammie was the epitome of a hard-working woman. I was always amazed at how hot it could be outside and how much she was able to accomplish. She would be taking care of her enormous garden, hanging up the wash (since she didn’t own a drier), and cooking a full meal for Jason’s cousins who work the farm, on days that were well in to the 90s without any sort of air conditioning. I always worried about her when the heat index rose, but she always reminded me that she was used to the heat since she had never had air conditioning. Grammie would spend a large portion of her summer making pickles (that she herself refused to eat), and mint tea from plants in her garden. She held her flowers in the highest regard (as she should have…they were beautiful), and it was only fitting that calla lilies from her garden were used at her memorial service.

Grammie’s hard work didn’t end with just physical labor. She was truly the matriarch of our family, and her strength kept her family going. Like all families, issues would arise. Grammie never held a grudge, and even when she let her opinions be known (which was rare since Grammie rarely said a bad word about anyone), it was always said with grace. Usually it included “I just feel sorry for him/her” at the end of it, and it was obvious that she really meant it. She showed Christ’s love for others when they were unlovable, and she was always an ear I knew I could share things with without being judged. (Although I definitely knew not to talk politics with her…even if we were on the same side, it probably wouldn’t have ended well!) When Grammie would come down to visit us, she often sat next to me in the passenger seat of the van. I always looked forward to those times when I could ask her about the farm, talk to her about my life, and get the latest on all of the family members. The one thing that none of us was ever able to give Grammie was a granddaughter. I have to say that one of the proudest moments in my life was when she introduced me, not as her grandson  Jason’s, wife, but as her granddaughter. To know that she thought that highly of me was humbling and an honor, and it is something that will stay with me forever.

Though all of these things are a part of what made Grammie so wonderful, her best, and hardest, work she did was the work for God. Grammie was an active member of her church community. At 88, she still held the title of President of the Women’s Guild, and taught Sunday school every other Sunday (a job she had been doing for almost 69 years!). Now many people are active at their church, but don’t live it out at home. Not Grammie…every action she took showed Christ’s love in one way or another. The pickles and red beet eggs she made for her family (even though she didn’t eat or like them), the holiday picnics and meals she prepared for family and friends (even when she barely had enough to pay her bills), and the daily prayers that she said for her family and friends (even when we certainly didn’t “deserve” them). Grammie’s love for the Lord was obvious in all that she did, and I can say without any sort of doubt that I KNOW that right now, she is having an amazing time with our Father in His Kingdom.

I am very grateful that we were able to give her a break from all of that hard work three weeks ago when we went to Wrightsville Beach with her. Because of the farming lifestyle she led, Grammie had never seen the Atlantic Ocean, nor had she ever put her toes in. What a blessing it was for us to take her there…to hear her squeal like a small child when the water touched her toes, to have her play with Carter in the sand, and her watch Austin as he jumped the waves...it is honestly one of the most memorable trips I have ever been on, and it was all because of her!

I could go on and on about all of the wonderful memories we have of Grammie. Austin will miss her cookies she made him (in fact, when he found out about her death he asked if she was making cookies for God and Jesus!), Carter will miss out on getting to know her better (something I am sad to think about, but grateful that she met him and he, her), Jason will miss more things than I can write here, but the thing I think I will miss the most are the conversations we had, and the presence she brought wherever she went.

While we will all miss our Grammie, there is such a comfort in knowing that she is where she wants to be…with her husband and son, and with our Lord and Savior. Knowing that she will no longer sit on my front porch or my kitchen table will always bring me sorrow, but knowing that she can now be with her Creator for all of eternity sitting at His front porch and around His table, makes my heart so full of happiness for her.

Thank you, Grammie, for all of the love you gave us. We will forever be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment